Saturday 4 July 2009

No more free film

I got the prints back from Truprint. These are the ones I shot with guessed exposures on a roll of Truprint 'free' film. And you know what? They all came out. But the bigger shock is that, along with my prints my loose, un-sleeved negs and my 'upgraded' Kodak film was a note that Truprint are no longer giving away free films:

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION
From 22nd June 2009 TRUPRINT will no longer offer FREE FILM due to increased postage costs and the decline in film use. An alternative will be offered if you use a 'free film' envelope but credit will not be given. EFFECTIVE 2ND JUNE 2009"

I don't really care, I wouldn't choose to use their film, but it does amount to a huge price hike. Dev & print inc free film was £2.79 with the 'introductory' envelope I picked up at a service station. Now it's £2.99 dev & print + £1 postage + £1.99 for a film. That's £5.98 a massive 87% rise! Still much cheaper than Peak Imaging, but if you don't want the prints, there's not much in it. Looking at the prices for a 36 exp film, Peak comes in at £5.51 and Truprint at £4.99.

I have a feeling that Truprint are trying to get out of the film business. I'll go with Peak!

More on the 'guessed exposure' film soon.

No comments: